Friday, March 9, 2012

Scramble! Scramble!

Will I ever get rid of this Indian jugaad? I've just finished packing a huge amount of things i never knew i had and it only weighs some 16 kilos! It makes me feel good that I have such few wordly possessions or maybe i'm going to realise everything that i've missed in a slow, agonizing manner!

Cut to the chase. My long cherished dream of being an IBM Corporate Service Corp came true in December when i was selected from an extremely competitive (not kidding!) pool to go on an assignment to Makassar, Indonesia. My first thoughts were, "Indonesia? Whoa, this is exotic! If only it didn't sound so much like India. (ugh!)". But as I began my preparation for what is going to be a "once in a life time" experience, I've realized there is so much character to this country. I cannot be more excited about the work I'm going to do there.

I've been gloating to everyone i know that I'm going to be working for the Indonesian government, and have been receiving "oohs" and "aahs" all this while. To flesh out a little more details, I'm going to be working for the education department and the city government of a place called "Makssar" in south Sulawesi. I have been interacting with my global team of fascinating IBMers from about 7 different countries, as we prepared for our assignments. And it all comes down to the next few weeks.

Amidst visa confusions, what kind of sun glasses to carry, and the overwhelming excitement of meeting my fellow CSCs, I set off from Bangalore on an exciting journey. I've only dreamed of this, but now, i got to rush and get ready before my cab comes to pick me up. No time to dream, it is time to live.


1 comment:

  1. :) I hope you learn a lot - about the culture, about their way of life... and I also hope that you find what you are looking for, personally!

    ATB! And couldn't be more proud to know someone so enthusiastic !

    Hafe a Safe Trip! Looking forward to the play by play...


    --
    VJ

    ReplyDelete